Main reasons why the dog eats grass
Despite being a natural behavior, as part of their routine food, the fact is that each animal has its predilection in the type of grass and their own reasons for the intake.
- Compensate nutritional deficiency: The herb provides an extra fiber and vitamins. It could happen that the dog ingested it simply by completing his diet.
- Purging effect: If the animal has a problem or stomach discomfort, even intestinal parasites; use the herb as a purgative, to provoke vomiting and relieve their discomfort.
- Instinctive behavior: It is proven that wild wolves also eat plants intentionally. It could then be an ancestral behavior, intact in its genetic memory.
- Boredom: Some dogs seem to eat grass to entertain themselves or simply to try new flavors.
- I like the grass! There are cases in which the dog looks for a specific type of grass or shoot. In these cases, the animal is very aware of what it eats, likes and seems to sit well. Why Does My Dog Eat Grass?
Is it harmful for the dog to eat grass?
Although the specific reason for this type of intake is not known, the truth is that it is not harmful; it is a normal behavior among domestic dogs and we should not prevent them from doing so. Their diet does not have to be exclusively composed of foods of animal origin; vegetables are also necessary and must be present in their diet.
Only in some cases should we take precautions.
- Pesticides or fertilizers: Places susceptible to using these compounds should be avoided, especially in turf areas of public parks or in cultivation areas.
- Toxic plants: The ingestion of some of the most used plants in gardens and even present at home, can be very dangerous for our dog, for example: liliaceae , ivy , castor , azalea , laurel , yew , the mistletoe , the oleanders , the tomato plants or plants Easter .
- Eating compulsively grass: If the animal eats a lot of grass, and obsessively, you must go to the vet . It could be a lack of food or a behavioral disorder.
Conclusion, do not worry if your dog dresses his conventional diet with a little green, the important thing is that his diet is natural and of the highest quality, composed of natural ingredients and free of preservatives or artificial substances. Provided that the animal is healthy and properly fed, it will only be an instinctive act.
The natural feed brand True Instinct works in this line. Its products are made with natural ingredients and come from selected producers under rigorous quality controls, to guarantee an excellent quality nutrition.