There are a variety of small mammals that can be excellent pets.
Sometimes, due to lack of time or space, we can not afford to have a dog or a cat at home.
Here are the main characteristics of the most popular small mammals that can become your pet:
- Hamster : There are species of different sizes and they can live from 2 to 3 years . They are not very social, so it is not recommended to have several of the same sex together, and if you have a partner they will proliferate quickly. They are easy to operate and do not require much space.
- Gerbil : They reach a maximum weight of 100 grams and live up to 5 years . They are social animals and you can have several together. They need a large cage and have a tendency to escape.
- Mouse : Its maximum weight is 30 grams and they can live up to 2 years . They are social animals and very intelligent, so it is recommended to have them in ample places where they can run and explore.
- Rat : can weigh up to 300 grams and live up to 4 years . Like mice, they are social and intelligent and require ample places to run and be distracted.
- Guinea Pig : It reaches a maximum weight of 2 kg and live up to 8 years . They are diurnal and social animals with others of the same species. They need a fairly large cage and frequent cleaning.
- Squirrel : There are very different sizes and can live up to 12 years . They are social, but it is not recommended to have males together, because they become very territorial. They have a very nervous character, so they need a very wide cage to run and climb.
- Chinchilla : They weigh a maximum of 700 grams and live until they are 15 years old . Like squirrels, they are social, but very territorial, so it is recommended not to have more than one if you do not have a big space to offer them. They also need a large and high cage to climb.
- Rabbit : There are many species, from dwarves that reach 2 kg , to the largest that reach 10 kg . They live until they are 6 or 7 years old. They require a wide cage to live in and a frequent cleaning. Unlike what many people believe, they are not rodents, but belong to the family of lagomorphs .
The most important thing when adopting these little companions, is to know all their needs well to guarantee them the best life the time they are by your side.
Having a small animal like hamsters, guinea pig, mice, rats, rabbits, etc. as a pet is a great way to have the companionship and responsibility of a pet. In most cases, small animals make very good pets, particularly for children. These articles will be helpful for caring for your small pets.